Bald eagle resting over the Joachim Creek, Herculaneum, Missouri.

I was headed over the bridge to tackle some of my many tasks at hand.
A spot of white in the gray day caught my eye.
Halfway over the bridge, and I realized what that white spot may have been.
So I backed my car across the roadway and parked on the edge.
Yep, there is was. Majestic even in the morning fog and mist.
A single bald eagle just waiting for me to take a portrait. 
 Oh no! All I had was a small
Nikon, and my iPhone.  I took a few shots, but with the mist and the distance, I
couldn't get a good photo.
So I asked this creature to 'please stay put.... I'll go get my big camera and be 
right back'.  
Much to my surprise 20 minutes later when I returned, there it was in the same spot.

I took many, many photos (probably too many) in the misty cool morning. 
This beauty sat there as I ran home a few miles away, got my large camera (Nikon D5100) and a
telephoto lens.  I was gone more than 20 minutes, and figured it would be gone and was so grateful when I saw it still perched on the same branch.
 This majestic bird sat there over 2 hours... yes, Two Hours... never did fly away.
When I enlarge these photos on my computer I can see that
the feathers are matted with moisture. 
I was hoping to get some "in-flight" shots.  I got cold, and my fingers got numb. 
Finally had to leave to get work done.

I feel so blessed to see such an amazing creature up fairly close.  He/ or she, was about 1000' from where I stood by the bridge.  I wish the lighting was better, but then, most likely this eagle wouldn't have "posed" as long as it did. 

I went back later in the day when the sky cleared.  Just the creek and bare trees.
It felt kind of lonely, and I wondered where my "friend" was spending the rest of the day.

Life near the great Mississippi River is never boring. Always something new to capture with
a camera... if you pay attention and keep your eyes open.

Verse of the day:

Psalm 18 ] [ For the director of music. Of David the servant of the Lord. He sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said: ] I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sit a Spell

Angel Wings

Sparkplug at the park.