Help Others

Hi All!!!!
well, I've been more tired lately, but doing fine… and actually sleeping more to feel better. My heart valve is still leaking, but meds keep the BP down. I've been walking and exercising mildly and Eating just like the Doc wants me to do!!
…... and dreaming crazy dreams, and thinking about lots of things to write….
Have a blessed day! Love to all!

Here's my writing for today:

   I put Jan's truck for sale on my Facebook page.  Right away I got a response~ somebody interested in possibly finding out the size motor and all that info...  hopefully she will sell it and that'll help her get rid of that extra expense of a vehicle she doesn't use.   I like helping my friends, I like seeing other people in a less stressful situation,  that is very important in this life of ours.

      Too many people just think of themselves and they don't think of other people and what they can do to help.  I guess I am always thinking of others, that's just how I am. It's how we were raised. My mom was that way and to a big degree my dad was that way too.
     "Others" in Dad's case was mostly our family. He was a stable provider, always worried about things around the house, paying the bills on time and keeping food on the table.  I learned a lot and even though they're not here on this earth with us any more, I love them and thank them every day. 
  
     I remember when Daddy broke his hand. He'd been working on a car at "Bud" Baumgartner's garage. Said he was getting frustrated with a bolt underneath the dash of a car (i don't remember what kind of car), and he was jerking forcefully on the bolt (and I'm sure he was giving it a great cursing out), and all of a sudden the wrench slipped off, hitting his left hand. He heard a "snap" and felt "fire" in his hand. Said he was going to try finishing with the car, but his hand swelled up, and the pain was unbearable.   He drove an old Chevy truck - I believe it was a 1949 - 3/4 Ton, that had a tow hook so he could tow cars - anyhow, it was a stick shift, no power steering, and with an injured left hand, he couldn't drive it.  Mrs. Baumgartner called my mom to come get Dad & take him to the hospital or doctor. 
     I knew it was serious when mom looked all "pale faced" and worried. I was left with the grandparents, and she left to pick up Daddy. Not sure how young I was, but probably about 6?  Dad was our only source of income.  We lived a rather meager life, but ate well, had a very nice home and both mom and dad had vehicles to drive.  Mom's job was to stay at home and take care of the family. So imagine the panic my parents felt when Dad came home with a cast, and instructions for "No Work At All" for at least 6 weeks!  I remember mom cutting off his shirt with a scissors and dad just wincing, and saying - Hey! that's a good work shirt!!! Can you sew it back together?

     At that time Dad was working at Mid-South Auto Body in St. Louis, plus he worked on the "side" for extra cash... we had no insurance, so a broken bone was a Big deal, a huge unplanned expense. I think it was Dr. Donnell that X-ray'd the hand and put a cast on it.  Doc Donnell was a blessing: he said he'd take installment payments for the accident costs.     
    Mom went downstairs and looked at the canned goods we had in stock, and at the food in our cabinets…. definitely not enough for 6 weeks or more. Plus there was utility bills to pay.  Dad was very frustrated to say the least.  Mom got a job at a nursing home.  It felt strange to come home from school, get off the bus and Mom not be there to greet me with her smile and hug.  Grandpa and Grandma Felgate were there, and gave me Graham crackers and milk, and kept me entertained by playing cards or checkers until mom got off work. 
     One day Grandpa Doering (Grandpa-in-the-woods) met me at the bus, and I went to his house (it was a barn that Dad & boys made into Grandpa's house) located down the hill behind our house. As soon as mom got off work, she made supper, and did some housework.  She only worked there 2 or 3 weeks, Dad couldn't stand her working like that. Plus she told some stories of what "nasty" stuff she had to do, and Dad put his foot down and told her to quit.  
     I remember being worried, cause mom said if he worked too soon with his "still healing" hand, it could become stiff and unmovable, then he'd not be able to do the auto body work and be out of a job.  Doc took the cast off early, because dad Insisted on it.  Dad promised he'd be easy on it. He used a rubber ball to exercise and strengthen it. He could not make a tight fist with it, never did regain Full grip, but didn't let that stop him. He retired as a auto body man at normal retirement age.

       Just shows ya:  a person can do anything they set their mind to do (or Not do). 

Love one another as the Bible teaches us.  Help each other whenever you can. 

Life is short here on earth, no time for silly wastefulness.

~~~love, Sherree'~~~

EmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmoji

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Course

Angel Wings

Things Get Sideways in My Brain